Monday, February 10, 2014

God's Creative Purpose


As the date of our conference draws near, it's good to reflect on why we are pursuing this writing thing. Writing can be a calling, an enjoyable hobby, or a creative nudge that begs expression. But do we realize that when we are writing, we are walking in the steps of our Creator?

Our God is an awesome God. He is good, loving, kind, merciful—and creative. As a writer, I often remind myself that God's first act recorded in the Bible is that He created.

This winter I've been snuggled inside the house, hiding from the harsh cold. But when a blanket of fresh snow awakens me with its bright, cool light, I can't help but admire the frosty canvas of God's creation. When the sun rises on the curving white landscape in pinks and sherbet orange, I am overwhelmed by the blessings of God's natural world.  As I step outside into the cold air, I am thankful to be immersed in incredible beauty.

After God created the earth, the stars, the seas and everything in them, He said that it was good. But after He created man, he said that it was very good. It is humbling to know I am gloriously made in His image.

Although God's perfect image in me has been marred by sin, through Christ I am a new creation. As I walk in newness of life, God's attributes, including the gift of creating, are manifested through me.

Whenever I am tempted to believe writing is a waste of time, I turn away from that deception. Writing can be difficult, frustrating, heartbreaking, and just plain hard work. But as I create and bring forth works of beauty, I realize I am walking in the ways of my Father.

I am grateful for the privilege of having the Holy Spirit alongside me as I walk in God's will and His ways. As I create, I draw closer to Him.

Walk in the creative purpose God has for your life.  

-Jeris Hamm

1 comment:

  1. Great post, Jeris. It is so easy to doubt our calling sometimes.

    ReplyDelete