Monday, January 19, 2015

Unexpected Benefit of Attending a Writers Conference by Johnnie Alexander

I attended my first major conference, the Florida Christian Writers Conference, in February 2007. This was a milestone on my road to publication.

Not because I wowed agents and editors with my sparkling writing style, can't-put-it-down manuscript, or charisma.

Believe me, none of those things were true.

But I met four women, three of them first-timers like me, who dreamed of sharing their unique messages with others.

They were the answer to the prayer I prayed on my drive to the conference.

"Please, God," I whispered. "Give me someone to eat meals with."

And He did.

These new friends and I ate together, attended workshops together, prayed together, and supported each other.

We also formed an online critique group that actually worked. (Until then, I didn't even know what a critique group was!)

Even better, our friendships deepened and strengthened. Though we seldom see each other, these women are four of my closest and dearest friends.

Workshops and keynotes are important elements of a conference. But so is the opportunity to meet other people who share your writing dreams.

When you attend this year's Mid-South Christian Writers Conference, you'll go home with your notebook full of great information.

You might also meet people who will become your critique partners and, better yet, your lifelong friends.

Won't you join us?

Meet Johnnie!

Johnnie Alexander is the author of Where Treasure Hides which won the ACFW Genesis Contest (2011 Historical Fiction). The first of her three contemporary romances, tentatively titled Into a Spacious Place, releases from Revell in January 2016.

She also has won the Best Novel and Best Writer awards at the Florida Christian Writers Conference is a 2012 Bronze Medalist in the My Book Therapy Frasier Contest.

A graduate of Rollins College (Orlando) with a Master of Liberal Studies degree, Johnnie lives in the Memphis area with a small herd of alpacas, her dogs Rugby and Skye, and assorted other animals.

Johnnie's Workshop

A Hero You Love . . . A Villain You Love to Hate

Once upon a time the heroes wore white hats and the villains wore black. But modern readers aren’t interested in stereotypes. Create the hero of your readers’ dreams and the villains of their nightmares by adding surprising dimensions to your characters. Learn how to deepen your story with memorable characters an agent, editor, or reader will love . . . or love to hate.

(Co-taught with Patricia Bradley)


For more information, please visit the Mid-South Christian Writers Conference website.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you Johnnie for all your hard work. I love your charisma, by the way!

    ReplyDelete