Tuesday, January 27, 2015

A Sign, Signs, Everywhere a Sign by April Carpenter


Are you paying attention to God’s signs?

A sign, signs, everywhere a sign, has been playing in my head recently. You know the 1971 song from the 5 Man Electric Band? 

Because of this song, I added a sign to my office door at home, for the kids not to bother me while I’m writing. It says, “Taking time for me.”
Does it keep them from knocking on my door? NO.
Does it keep my husband for yelling, “Honey, where’s my dinner?” NO.
Here’s your first sign to come to the Mid-South Christian Writers Conference on March 7th.  The sign reads….
 
I hear you saying, “I don’t have the time,” or “I went to the conference last year, why should I go again?” These are just excuses. Your family can function for one day without you. Trust me I know.   Everyone needs encouragement, and to be with likeminded people.
I was honored to speak at my church before Christmas regarding my personal prayer journey. I shared with the group the writing I was doing concerning what the Bible says about verbal abuse. I also explained why I hadn’t completed this book yet. I said, “This is a hard topic to write about. I can work on it for a while and then I have to put it aside.”
After the talk, two people stopped to tell me, “Please finish your book, I would buy it and share it with women I know who are in abusive situations.”
HMMMM I thought, was this a sign?
 
If God has given you sign after sign, “Write for me,” or if every other day God blesses you with a great idea for an article or character, I feel that these are signs. In order to serve God 100% writers must hone their craft; because for me writing doesn’t come very easily.
 
The sign reads for me today, “Come away with me for a while….. God.”
When God speaks I make a plan so I can be obedient. One way to be obedient is to prepare.  When I have taken the time to learn about the craft of writing then I see results. God gives me new characters and the ability to tweak old characters, among other things. Attending conferences for me is my way of preparing and to get encouragement.
 
What are the signs in your life, regarding your writing, that you have been avoiding or not noticing? Please friends, I encourage you to come to the conference.  Now the sign reads, “Won’t you join us?”
 
(C)April Smith Carpenter

Meet April!

 

April Smith Carpenter is excited to return as the MSCW conference director for the second year. She is an avid daily journal writer, aerobics enthusiast, a marching band/thespian mom, and writer on the fly. She has published articles in Memphis Parent Magazine, DeSoto Appeal, DeSoto Times Tribune, and Parent Guide News. She covers a wide variety of topics with a particular focus on parenting, sports, and women’s health issues. Two of her stories have appeared in Chicken Soup for the Soul book series.  Smith Carpenter proudly serves as President of the Byhalia Christian Writers (BCW).  


April's Workshop

Leaving a Godly Legacy

Do you want your children and grandchildren to know about their family history? Do you want to share stories that will be remembered for generations to come? This session will give writers the tools needed to start this journey and leave a godly legacy. We all have a story to tell, each story, good or bad can enrich another person’s life. Be encouraged: your writing can make a difference. 

For more information, please visit the Mid-South Christian Writers Conference website.

2 comments:

  1. This is so true!! I hope those who hope to write will take time for themselves and come to the conference. It's a great place to meet people who think like you do...who understand when you talk about imaginary people like you know them...You DO! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We all need, from time to time, to feel normal, right? Love you Pat.

      Delete