Tuesday, February 3, 2015

Stop and Sharpen Your Saw by Marylane Wade Koch


Give me six hours to chop down a tree and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe.


I think I was born with a To-Do list in my hand. My mom tells me I have been busy all my life. Sometimes this approach has paid off in fruitful outcomes. But is busy really better? Does busy always translate to productive?
 
Some years ago, I was a healthcare executive working long hours. A packed agenda was my norm--at least until a friend invited me to an educational workshop. My initial response was "I don't have time. I’m too busy right now." No doubt my calendar bulged with commitments.

Then my sage friend made a statement that changed my life: Sometimes to reach your goals, you need to stop and sharpen your saw. 

He told me a story about a woodcutter who had worked hard all day to cut down a grove of trees. A young man happened by and suggested the woodcutter might have more success if he took a break and sharpened his saw.  

But the woodcutter responded, “I have too much work to do today. I don’t have time to stop and sharpen my saw.” So the weary woodcutter continued to hack away with his dull blade, taking twice as long to get the job done. 

How had I missed this practical lesson in my busy life? I knew what it was like to trim the hedge in our yard with an unsharpened blade or to cut fabric with a dull pair of scissors. Why had I not applied this same principle to my own life? Or my writing life?

I have made the commitment to attend at least one writers’ conference each year for renewal. Learning new ideas with like-kind pays big dividends in better work and a better life for me. Participating in a writers’ conference allows time to hone my craft--to sharpen my saw.   

Do you desire refreshed creativity for your writing? Would you like to gain insights and knowledge from fellow Christian writers who offer support to help you reach your writing goals? If so, take time to review the many opportunities offered at the 2015
Mid-South Christian Writers’ Conference. Think how much you can accomplish with a renewed spirit in fellowship with other Christian writers.
Don’t wait. Make that decision to stop and sharpen your saw. Register today to get the Early Bird special for the upcoming Mid-South Christian Writers Conference.  I hope to meet you there! 

Therefore encourage one another and build each other up, just as in fact you are doing. (1 Thessalonians 5:11)

Meet Marylane!

Marylane Wade Koch has over 30 years of experience in writing, editing, and speaking. She has authored numerous articles (print and online) and published several healthcare books and inspirational stories. She has worked as a writer and subject matter expert/developmental editor with various digital authoring platforms. She serves as  V.P. of Byhalia Christian Writers, V.P. of the Mississippi Writer Guild, and adjunct faculty at Austin Peay State University. She is co-director of Write Life Workshops and consulting editor for WrittenByaPro.com.  

Marylane's Workshop

Writing for the Web:  Make it Work for You 

As a writer, you’re probably looking for readers, and one place to find them is on the World Wide Web. This session explores trends in web publishing, what web readers want, and how to use the web to support your writing agenda. The presentation will also include tips for writing effective web copy that keeps the reader reading. 

For more information, please visit the Mid-South Christian Writers Conference website.

1 comment:

  1. Love you my friend. God's love is good and faithful all the time. I'm looking forward to the conference with you! Blessings,

    ReplyDelete